And So We Begin

The 1942 Case Tractor Lawn Art

 

I do not always think things through. As a painter I do not do detailed sketches and then a color sketch before pouring watercolor across the canvas. Just the bare bones. Maybe an application of masking between sky and land. And as I move forward from the huge commitment of brilliant reds and oranges of the sky I change my direction sometimes.

That seems to work in my paintings. And in the past has worked with writing. You can always edit a blog or a word document. But other sites are not always as flexible and since Covid-19 pandemic nothing seems as pliable as I would like. But we were in lockdown and I had time on my hands and I knew I never wanted a long term renter in my attached apartment ever again. Mother said to never say never or ever but even if I do not say them I think them. And so I began the process of making that apartment a short term rental.

I had no idea of how difficult it would be. How many rigid and intractable things I would have to deal with just getting to this point. Oh, it was so much fun as I chose the colors and with mask on ventured into the hardware store to buy the paint. It was then I realized the open floor plan meant I would have to decide where one color ended and another began. But that was like doing a painting where I had to match the colors in my accidental sky.


Celebration of Color


Then to lay the floors I had spilled all the paint on. Painting without drop cloths had been free expression. But from there forward the parameters I had to comply with got tighter. Which is why with my paintings my foregrounds are often done with oil stick. Let me out of here. Let this be over.


Binford-Bell Studio
The Binford-Bell Studio Next Door

 

In for a penny, in for a pound. I promise I will get this done in spite of spring snows, and intractable websites, and orders for amenities which go astray, and plumbing problems. Besides it is a great place to hang my art. And bit by bit it is becoming an art project. Down to the painted chair.


Painted chair and writing desk


Comments

  1. Lucky travelers who stumble upon this jewel.
    Do you worry about guests running away with your art?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I can bill them for what they take. Once I decide on just the right art in the right place I will put up title cards with prices and make them a bit more difficult to get off the wall.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Isn't Done till the Fat Lady Sings

Open