It Isn't Done till the Fat Lady Sings

Dawn Over Black Lake Artists' Retreat

 

The concept of converting my empty attached apartment to a vacation rental seemed like a good idea at the time. But in retrospect being locked down during a pandemic narrows ones vision. I had never stayed at a VRBO. My closest experience was eight days in a house boat on Lake Powell as I have stated in a previous blog. Stocking up for a week with my sister on conveyance which had no frills (we did the cheap boat) is hardly the same as readying a two bedroom/sleeps five apartment for a month reservation.

Thankfully my first guest was for just three nights and my next booking is for four nights. But in the future there is a 28 day stay and a 30 day stay. Hopefully I will have the kinks out by then and at the least an ample supply of toilet paper and paper towels. I thought I was done with the endless list of amenities but I see I am going to need some chests of drawers for the longer reservations. Luckily a friend sold her house and it offering three she does not want to take with her. As my sister puts it I need to make money before spending more. I am on a first name basis with the UPS driver, Dollar General, and Angel's Attic Thrift shop in Eagle Nest. I still keep a notebook by my mouse to make lists of what still needs to be done or bought.

Kate, my friend who cleans houses is coming Wednesday to clean following first guest and before second. But meanwhile I am trying to disentangle my location from the powers that are suddenly looming huge in my life. Google Maps thinks I live in Angel Fire which means a whole bevy of lodging taxes billed to guests. And sometimes when they give directions they claim my house is in Taos. My mailing and legal address for my LLC is actually Ocate, NM. It was tough enough explaining all that to the customer service agent at VRBO. But it was easier than getting the telephone number for an agent. The real battle is going to be Google.

Meanwhile sitting on the deck and watching dawns in going to be on the top of my list right before tending the garden. That will give me the serenity to tackle the still existing, and often growing, list of to-do's for the never done project.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And So We Begin

Open